The law and your rights

According to the Quebec Civil Code, parents have a responsibility towards their children:  you must assure their care, maintenance and education.  Also, the Civil Code states that a minor may not leave the home or any other placement without the consent of his or her parents or of the person who is legally responsible for the child.

For more information, you can consult Quebec’s Youth Protection Act (YPA). You can also consult the brochure “Your child’s situation has been reported to the DYP.  What do you need to know?” by clicking on the following link: This brochure explains all the steps involved if your child’s situation was brought to the attention of Youth Protection.